Friday, June 24, 2011

Album Review - THEOPHAGY - Theophagy (2010)



Theophagy is a melodic/symphonic/epic/progressive death metal sextuplet from Indiana, USA. Just like every currency in the world is always compared to the American dollar, every progressive death metal band must inevitably be compared to Opeth. It's unfair, but that's how things work. Theophagy score very well in this test, because they have their share of Opeth moments that we all love, but are also extremely original. I believe that progressive death metal is the ultimate do-whatever-the-fuck-you-want style of music. There are literally endless possibilities to what you can do, yet still maintain a unique mood and personality. Theophagy have realized this, and put out a powerful debut full-length utilizing this idea of musical freedom.

I have to confess; the first time I listened to this album, I was bored. But the second time, I was mildly entertained. At the third listen, I was enlightened. This band is definitely a grower. The songs are sometimes impossibly complex, and I can tell they were probably a bitch to write and learn, but it's all worth it. There are so many things you notice only after multiple listens, like how the drummer synchronizes his toms with the guitars' melody in "Confess", a truly brilliant idea if you ask me.



The keyboards are utilized very well on this album, and when they say it's symphonic, it really is. However, it does get brutal at times. There's no cheesy singing here, just a deep, hearty growl that fits the music very well, accompanied by long instrumental passages with lots of memorable riffs. Theophagy is definitely worth checking out and I look forward to another release.

And so The Malevolent Jester hath decreed.





No comments:

Post a Comment